Information about the project
- High-voltage, 500 MW 400 kV power line from Ełk to Alytus.
- The length of the overhead electricity line: 163 km. 51 km of the line pass through Lithuania, in Alytus and Lazdijai districts, and 112 km pass through Polish territory, through Podlaskie and Warmian-Masurian Voivodeships.
- In Alytus substation, one of the most important elements of the link, a direct current insert was built.
- The planned duration of using the link is 50 years.
More information about the project: www.litgrid.eu.
PROJECT GOALS AND SIGNIFICANCE
- to connect the electricity transmission grids of Lithuania and Poland (while strengthening electricity transmission grids in the North-Eastern part of Poland and in the Southern Lithuania);
- to connect the power system of the Baltic states (Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia) to the power system of Western Europe;
- to connect the ring of power transmission systems of the countries of the Baltic Sea region;
- to strengthen the energy independence of both countries and countries in the region;
- to expand the opportunities of electricity supply and to strengthen the energy self-sufficiency of the countries;
- to increase the safety and reliability of electricity supply in the region;
- to help create an integrated common electricity market of the European Union;
- to trade in electricity on the common electricity market of the European Union.